Popular Posts

Friday 2 September 2011

Not quite Masterchef

About six months ago wine woman (me) filled out an application form for the TV show Masterchef.  And then forgot all about it.

Two weeks ago I received a phone call.  An interview for the show!

They asked me all manner of things. What sauces could I make, for instance?  I said I could make mayonnaise,  bechamel, veloute, hollandaise, beurre blanc, pesto, gribiche ....  I went on and on. And on .... and on.  Eventually, and after a pause whilst I drew breath, the patient little voice on the other end of the phone said "Yes, but can you make gravy?".

Oh.

But despite coming across as a world class muppet I got a screening.

The excitement!  The phone calls!  The outfits!  Oh YES!

And I was rubbish.  Beyond rubbish.  I made a world class muppet look like Einstein. Einstein on a good day.   You know when you go through customs and suddenly you start walking in an oddly stilted 'Ministry of Funny Walks' type fashion?  Well, I made the Monty Python crew look like a bunch of amateurs.

Anyway, this is the dish I cooked and, despite the above, it really is rather fantastic.....

Sticky chicken with sushi rice and basil (with thanks to Ruth Watson in her book Fat Girl Slim).  I also served a cucumber and seaweed salad - recipe to follow.

You will need


2/4 (depending on size and appetite) boneless, skinless chicken thighs - sliced into the finest strips you can possibly manage
Scant 1/2 tablespoon of cornflour
1 tablespoon of sesame oil
1/2tablespoon of soy sauce

Mix these all together and set aside.

You will also need

2 tablespoons of sweet chilli sauce (or Ruth Watson has half of sweet chilli and half of hoisin)
1 tablespoon of oyster sauce
2 garlic cloves peeled and finely chopped

1/2 cup of Japanese or 'sushi' rice

A really generous handful of basil leaves - shredded

Method

Put the rice in a sieve and run it under the cold tap until the water runs clear.  If you have time leave it to drain for half an hour.  Whatever, put into your smallest lidded saucepan (mine is 6 inches across) and add half a cup of cold water.  Bring to the boil with the lid on.  Then turn down to the lowest heat and cook for 20 minutes.  Turn off the heat and leave with the lid on until you are ready.  I have left it for up to an hour with no adverse effects.

Heat up your non-stick pan and tip in the chicken.  Toss around over a high heat for 4 minutes then add the garlic.  After 30 seconds add the sauces and lower the heat a bit.  Cook for a further 4 minutes until everything has reduced and is all sticky.

Serve with the rice and basil.

Do not cook this on television.








No comments:

Post a Comment