Popular Posts

Monday 2 January 2012

Pea guacamole with prawns and chilli jam


My godmother has just sent me this - a recipe I devised and sent to her almost 15 years ago!
I remember that I had been inspired by a visit to Quo Vadis restaurant in Soho where I had eaten pea puree topped with russian salad and poached langoustines. 
A little worrying that I can remember what I had for supper nearly one and a half decades ago....?!
Anyway, the recipe is for a starter of pea 'guacamole' with prawns and home-made chilli jam.  My godmother still uses it.  


Pea and Mint guacamole with prawns and chilli jam


1/2 bag (1kg) frozen petit pois
1 large tablespoon butter
2 tablespoons finely (fresh) grated parmesan
1 packet mint (stripped from stalk)
salt and pepper
1 clove garlic
5 tablespoons prawns (prawn cocktail type)
1 tablespoon mayonnaise
3 chillies (deseeded) chopped
4 tablespoons sugar
water to cover
1/2 teaspoon balsamic vinegar (optional)

Cook peas in butter with mint until soft (5 minutes approx).

Add crushed garlic and cook for further 2-3 minutes.  Season.

Whiz in processor until smooth.  Stir in parmesan.

Mix prawns with mayonnaise.

Put chilli, sugar and water (and vinegar if using) if using in saucepan and bubble away until mixture is syrupy.

Now assemble:  line ramekins with cling-film leaving bits hanging over edge.  Put a bit of prawn mixture in each ramekin and top with goodly portion of green pea mixture.

Chill.  When ready to serve turn onto large plate and drizzle jam around the plate.  (if chilli jam has set too much heat up in microwave with bit of water added).

Serve with melba toast and small bunches of watercress.

Serves six.



I reckon half the quantity would make a splendid main course for the solitary diner.  Left over pea guacamole will keep for a couple of days in the fridge and is great spread on toast as a snack.  The chilli jam will also keep.
I particularly like the direction to measure the prawns with a tablespoon..... 

3 comments:

  1. This is a very unique recipe, but it does have some delicious ingredients. The peas with mint does intrigue. Glad your godmother reminded you of this recipe, definitely a must try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This blog is an absolute GODSEND. I'm tired of throwing out food I can never get around to eating from recipes made for 4-8 people :(

    I only wish there were some pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for your lovely comment - I will start taking photos - I PROMISE!

    ReplyDelete