Popular Posts

Thursday 11 August 2011

Words on the larder


Basic store cupboard

Although my larder looks like a spoilt child’s toy box you really do not need a bulging store cupboard.  I have tiny bottles of truffle oil, Japanese hot pepper, shrimp paste, tamarind, black rice, jars of embalmed anchovies, five types of dried chilli, six types of vinegar and so on (and on).   You see, whenever someone asks me what I would like for my birthday or Christmas I always answer food or kitchen equipment (mainly knives) but then I am obsessed.  Horribly so.  I sincerely hope you are not as bad as me or if you are that you have a far speedier metabolism.

Extra virgin olive oil
Bog standard olive oil
Groundnut oil (or vegetable oil if you are allergic in which case I hardly need to tell you do I?)
Balsamic vinegar (the cheap stuff is just fine – we will be cooking with it)
White wine vinegar
Soy sauce
Fish sauce
Ketchup
Mayonnaise
Tabasco
Worcestershire sauce
Chicken and beef stock cubes as well as some marigold stock powder (I am assuming you do not want to fill up your single person’s freezer with stock although good for you if you do)
Black pepper (lots and in a grinder)
Malden sea salt
Pouring sea salt (I suggest you ask for a couple of salt pigs for your birthday.  Sorry, I can’t help myself)
Caster sugar
Uncle Ben’s long grain rice (I know it is expensive but it really is the best.  However  I suggest you do not buy the boil in the bag variety – it pushes the price even higher)
Risotto rice  
Pasta – I currently have spaghetti, fusilli and conchiglie in my larder
Tinned chopped tomatoes
Tomato puree
Black olives (the shriveled type not the one packed in brine which are curiously plastic and quite vile)
Cashews, pecans, pine nuts
Tinned or bottled anchovies
Capers (you hate them right?  Tough – buy them anyway. Along with the anchovies.)
Anchovies (see above)
Bay leaves
Dried oregano
Cayenne
Ground cumin
Ground coriander
Chilli powder
Ground cinnamon
Paprika (smoked and sweet)
Nutmeg (the whole variety. You can grate it on your cheese grater.  No need to invest in a fancy doodad)
Plain flour
Smooth Dijon mustard
Runny honey

In the fridge I always have

Unsalted butter
A strong cheddar
Eggs
A small pot of cream (single or double)
Carrots
Celery
Smoked streaky bacon
Chillies
Lemons and limes

As well as copious quantities of strong white onions and garlic and a large ziplock bag of homemade breadcrumbs in the freezer (Just blitz up a stale white loaf in the food processor or buy some panko breadcrumbs). Oh, and some white pittas (they freeze well)
I grow basil, coriander, dill, flat leaf parsley and thyme in window boxes.  I also have a little bay tree by the front door. However, I quite understand that you may not even have a window ledge (a lot of the modern buildings going up around me don’t seem to have them) in which case then you are going to have to buy your fresh herbs as and when.  In my experience only basil works as an indoor plant.  

That should do it for the time being


No comments:

Post a Comment