Popular Posts

Sunday 2 October 2011

Really sticky lemon syrup cake - for one!

I am not very good at maths.  Not very good at all.  Let me put it this way; I once called my best friend Suzi in Tokyo because I couldn't work out how to use the percentage button on my calculator.  I was in London at the time.

Cake making is about proportions (maths in my book) so miniaturising a family recipe has taken quite a few swear words to achieve.  I also had to call my mother.

I used a little baby spring form cake tin 4 1/2 inches by 1/2 inches deep.  I reckon it would also work in a teeny weeny loaf tin.  You could also pour the batter into 2 greased paper muffin cases (but reduce the cooking time to 20 minutes and keep the cakes in the cases when you pour on the syrup).

You will need:

For the cake batter

1/2 oz stale white bread crumbs
1 3/4 oz caster sugar
1 oz ground almonds
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/3 oz sunflower oil
1 large egg
Zest of an unwaxed lemon

For the syrup

Juice of one lemon
2 oz caster sugar

Method

Grease the inside of the tin.  Line with baking parchment and then grease the paper.

Mix the breadcrumbs with the sugar, almonds, lemon zest and baking powder.

Whisk the oil and the eggs together and pour into the breadcrumb mixture and stir well..

Pour the resulting batter into the cake tin.

Put the tin onto a baking sheet and into a COLD oven.  Turn the oven on to 180 C (fan oven 170 C).

Bake for 30 minutes.

Remove from the oven and allow to cool for a few minutes in the tin.  Then turn into a shallow breakfast bowl, removing the baking parchment paper as you do so..

Whilst the cake is cooling make the syrup.   Bring the sugar and lemon juice to the boil in a non stick pan stirring all the while until the sugar has completely dissolved.  Turn the heat down and simmer for a couple of minutes.

Pierce the top of the cake all over with a skewer and pour on the hot syrup.  As the cake cools it will soak up the syrup from the bowl.  You can baste it if you wish.

I am rather pleased with this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment